Sunday, April 7, 2019

Spring hustle before surgery

Well I have found out that I have to have brain surgery in May. After the surgery I'll be on some pretty heavy restrictions, so I have to keep busy between now and then to get as much done as possible. Last year I removed most of the lattice around this area, as it was falling down cause the 25 year old fence posts were rotting off. The area at the right hand side became very congested with weed trees among the hazel nuts and plum trees, so yesterday I spent 2 hours cutting out weed trees and making a path for the lawnmower to get along the south (left) side of the hazel nuts and plum trees, last year I wasn't able to reach most of the plums to harvest them because of so many weed tree babies.

Now I have a path done and hopefully will replace the fencing, because rabbits got into this area and over the wire around the fences and destroyed a half dozen baby apple trees and some other trees in this area. I'm considering refencing it and planting 2 peach trees in this area where the other trees were that were ruined. (more photos later). See previous post on rabbits, both trees in that post photo were in this area.

This area around this plum tree out in front by the front steps had plastic under mulch to prevent weed, but the plastic was killing the plum tree because the rain wasn't getting to the roots. So over the past two weeks I've been removing the plastic and mulch and then re leveled the area and planted it with lily bulbs and flower seeds.

I redid this area as well this week, I moved the birdbath to an area farther east and moved out the chair and bench that were falling apart (someday hope to buy new wood for these) cleaned up a bunch of weeds etc and I planted some new bulbs and seeds in this area as well.So I've gotten this area done for now (oh I also moved my bird feeder post back over here as well).
I'm starting to work on the raised beds this week also, I did pull out some weeds and turned up some soil. I need to get some "as soon as the soil can be worked" seeds in pretty soon, I did plant some potatoes that were sprouting in a tote as well. As I posted in a previous post we also began to move railings on the east deck by that pear tree, which we'll try to finish up this next week (photos will follow). And Joel put a new drive train in our Subaru which we helped with.

I also did get the new mailbox up,so progress is being made, but so much yet to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment