Sunday, April 21, 2019

salvaging posts and ran out of spindles....


 The Utility area needed railings so no one fell into the hole, but also needs access to the utility boxes.
This end will eventually have a gate to provide that access. As you can see I ran out of spindles while putting in this railing, and after these photos were taken I robbed one of the end spindles for measuring when I put railing at the woodshed end of the deck.

 This is where I ran out of spindles. And I removed one to use to measure when I put the railings on the NE end of the deck.
The cross rails on all of the new railings are salvaged 2 x 4's that I had from previous fences that were taken apart, some were badly weathered and checked, but they saved us a lot of money reusing them and a lot of waste. I try not to let anything go to waste around here.
 Boy am I going to have a huge paint job when this is done, I not only have all this on the east side deck but the front porch and handicap ramp is all spindle rails and the back porch is also spindle rails. Some day I even hope to put spindle rails down the North deck by our apple tree deck.


The posts that you see at the left hand side of these two photos were some that I salvaged from a neighbor, they had been buried in the ground and the bottoms had rotted off, and they had no tops or finials. By reusing these slavaged posts it saves us about $32. The two boards that you see on the deck that are filling in a space are salvaged from our sons replaced front step, may add one more. And the cross pieces are salvaged 2x4's from an old fence.


The white spindles you see on the far left are 6 that I had left from some old railing that I salvaged. I spaced them a bit farther apart as these railings have a different shape than the new railings I have been buying, and the old railing style is no longer available, Our old post style is no longer available either. The arbor you see built in the center photos was also built with some salvaged material to hold woodbine vines.We are really enjoying the new steps down to the raised beds....I even built another raised bed today but it isn't in the photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment