Monday, April 29, 2019

salvage landing

So much work yet to do to finish this deck and make it safe, reinforcing under each section, more facia, lattice etc..so when I realized I had these 3 gates that I had salvaged from a previous fence that I could use as a temporary landing spot at the end of the steps I jumped at the chance.

The gates were used previously as 2 driveway gates and a walk gate on an old fence line that no longer exists..and these were stored in a pile.

When I was going through the pile for picket fence panels I found these and with some reworking was able to make boardwalk type landing at the bottom of the deck steps to make a safe footing until I'm able to lift again after the surgery and will have time and energy to put in cement.

There have been people telling me that these aren't safe..well..they are well reinforced underneath with several 2x4's each and are made 5/4 deck lumber that is treated for ground contact..so they are safe for now. The rest of the deck needs railings finished and reinforcing put underneath as well as facia and lattice, and I'll get that done next week or the following week..but this is where my greenhouse used to be and the soil wasn't ready for me to dig out for a sidewalk yet. One good thing, the black plastic with the decking on it will kill off all of the weeds and grass in this area and then when I'm properly healed enough to work on sidewalks, I'll have an easier time digging this out and putting in the cement...in the meantime it is safe and although the shadows make it look crooked, it is level.

No comments:

Post a Comment