Tuesday, February 5, 2019

43 days to spring


Yes we are almost there, 43 days until Spring but more than 100 days until we can plant tender annuals in our area. We generally have about 120 day growing season, but it can be as short as 90 days and as long as 180 days (like 2018). I have not yet started very many of my plants inside but in a few weeks I'll be doing that. This above photos is of my waterfall, without any water in it the last two years because of the drought. Hoping for no drought this year. Also we have to watch for too warm of temperatures early that bring on blossoms with killing frosts after. For 3 years in a row we lost nearly all of our fruit to late freezes, but last year was wonderful, with an extra long growing season, no frosts after the first part of May and fruit like you wouldn't believe !!

Here is a list of the seeds that I have gotten from my seed orders for this year: Space Hybrid Spinach, N Georgia Candy Roaster Pumpkin, Darkebor Hybrid Kale, Husky Tomato (my favorite that I've planted the last 4 years),  Fava Beans Windsor, Rainbow blend beets, Rainbow blend carrots, bright lights Chard, Flash Hybrid Collards, Green Arrow Pea, German Giant Radish (also a favorite),Butter Belly Hybrid Squash, Tonopah Hybrid Tomato, Autumn Beauty Sunflower, Pro Cut Sunflower, Double Golden Datura, Double Black Currant Swirl, Datura, Xanthos Cosmos, Sweet Dreams Cosmos, Rubinato Cosmos. This order was from Seeds And Such.

Two Amazon orders : Stinging Nettles  and  and Herb order of: Anise, Italian Broad leaf basil, Thai Basil, Roman Chamomile Common chives, Garlic chives, slo bolt Cilantro, watercress, Nigella Sativa Cumin, Bouquet dill, lemon balm, sweet marjoram, peppermint, italian oregano, triple moss curled parsley, rosemary, russian tarragon and thyme.
Also picked up from walmart: Winter Squash Mix with delicata table gold, sweet dumpling,  yugoslavia finger fruit white ace and table queen. Oriental poppy mix, columbine barlows doubles mix, hollyhock country romance mix, delphenium pacific giant mix.

So I'll be busy starting tomatoes and flowers and herbs inside really soon.


In the meantime there is snow outside.

I'm also busy making lists of things I need to do when the snow melts. I need to do a lot of pruning, especially grapevines and repairing arbors, and fruit tree maintainence. I will be repairing decking and railing, adding steps to east deck, building at least 4 more maybe 5 more raised beds up near the house for the old age thingy..

Have a lot of maintainence to do around the property, and with Ron being disabled it is all up to me.
Also in the spring I put the pumps in the pond, get the waterfall I mentioned going and check on all my baby fish.

But most of all I look forward to the perennials that are already planted and asleep to come alive, like the asparagus, and the rhubarb plants, and of course the morel mushrooms.

So if you are reading this, leave me some comments about your spring plans

2 comments:

  1. Got my new phone today and bam my old blog came back up. Had not posted on it for several years. See link . Www.restfultrailsfoodforestgardens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete