Friday, May 8, 2020

2020 Spring, Containers on decking

Well it has been awhile since I posted on the blog, I've not done a lot since I had brain surgery 11 months ago. I have been doing a lot of thinking after having 4 surgeries last year, so I'm trying something a little different this spring. I purchased 6 containers and had 2 rubbermaid totes, and I'm doing a little planting in these on the porch and deck to have some vegetables highly accessible, near the doorways, especially salad vegetables.

With the Covid19 hitting this spring, it has made things even a little more difficult with our Governor telling us that we were unable to buy, planters, plants, seeds, soil, etc. But we are making some progress despite the rules.

I purchased the 4 brown containers before the Covid19 and I purchased the 2 black containers after the purchase ban was lifted as well as some dairy doo.

This is my first container, I had started 4 cabbages in the house earlier and set them out in two containers, but one died, and had to be replanted, so I still have 4 Katrina cabbage plants. The tiny plants in the container is from a Mesclun mix and soon should be yielding some salads. Parsnip seeds are planted in the back and maybe a few pea seeds (my peas rotted and had to be replanted).

This is my second container on my front porch, there is another Katrina cabbage from the first planting and a smaller one from the replanted planting, the center is Space Spinach.  There is also peas and parsnip seed planted in this container, not up yet.


Not much growing in this container, there are two kinds of radishes, and a badly frosted broccoli, as well as some peas and parsnip seeds.

There are some wierd pelleted salad greens called simply wok along the left side, and some beets sprouting in the center of this container, have not done any thinning yet, there are also parsnips and peas planted in this container.

There are two more containers just like these on the front porch that are filled and have parsnip seeds planted in them, but they aren't up yet either, I'll also plant some warm weather crops in those. We are having snow this week from a late polar vortex, so glad that I haven't planted those yet.

I have two rubbermaid totes on my east deck also..

This tote has two kinds of russian Kale growing, one red and one green as well as a few parsnip seeds.

This tote has carrots planted in it, they really need to be thinned badly, I'll get to it when it stops snowing out.

I had 6 tomatoes planted in my greenhouse, but its been very cold, and even in the greenhouse all but two of them froze, I replanted but they haven't sprouted, and I'll probably have to buy a few plants instead, but the stores haven't gotten them in yet.

I have garlic growing in the greenhouse and I planted some parsnips in there too, Ron loves parsnips so hopefully some will grow well. I also started a top of a parsnip and a carrot for seed....and the bottom of a celery and they are all growing. I bought some top set egyptian onions by mail and they came, 10 of them, and they are planted in a bucket until I can plant them in the ground.

My raised beds are still waiting to be planted and worked on AFTER the snow stops !!!! Yes it is May.

My Stinging nettles from last year came back beautifully as well as all of my perennials and my fruit trees and herbs, so I have a LOT growing in the gardens, but I thought I would share the container experiment while I wait for the snow to stop.

1 comment:

  1. The container idea sounds good. Easy to access and easy to put a lid on in case of frost (while they are small). Will you be transplanting most or do container gardening? Esther

    ReplyDelete